Technology is giving Hollywood a run for its money.
It’s happening fast. Recently:
- Apple hired away from Sony Pictures Television a pair of executives to oversee its entertainment efforts;
- Facebook made its first-ever long-form original-series orders;
- Vice received a $450 million infusion from private-equity firm TPG to fuel its content efforts;
- Musical.ly launched its first set of short-form original series from NBCUniversal and Viacom;
- Snapchat added 10 more such series via a $100 million deal with Time Warner.
What could this all mean? Who knows. What’s certain is that media executives had better get up to speed quick, fast and in a hurry if they don’t want to be deemed the biggest losers.
Read more here.